I set it up with the first two pinned on the wall behind a computer, and the next two on the desk in front of it, with the prototype comic up on the screen. (I also had a sheet of paper for people to write feedback but nobody did)
(I forgot to take a photo of my set up, oops)
When setting up on the mac, as I'd only tested the online version on my laptop and phone (which doesn't work) I wasn't sure if the javascript parts would work on the bigger screen - they don't really, unless I make the window dimensions the same as my laptop. That's definitely something I need to figure out soon. I've set up a meeting with Tim next week so I might bring that up.
--------
Initially we got into groups of three and spend 20 minutes talking about each of our projects. I was with two people with very different projects and practices to me so it was mostly general thoughts rather than specific bits of advice we gave each other. They didn't really know much about illustration/comics
They thought my concept art was very nice, and liked the style/colours! Read through the comic thumbnails fairly quickly, but thought it made sense as far as it was.
Lydia really liked how the beginning/metaphor of the story was very relatable to a lot of people, uni students etc, and that that made her interested in it even if she doesn't like fantasy
They asked how I was thinking of presenting it in my final presentation, whether I would just go through the comic or something else - which is definitely something to think about it. the interactiveness of scrolling through it yourself is an important part of the experience.
Also, from my point about inspiring other webcomic artists to do more fun things with their webcomics, they wondered if those resources/teaching people how to do it easier could be something for me to design? Which is definitely something I've thought about - but my priority is obviously the comic itself, and I'm not sure if I'll have time to properly design a resource like that. My primary aim is to inspire, not necessarily educate. At the very least though, I will definitely mention somewhere what code/resources I used, and inspiration comics.
I also discussed briefly the responsive design issues I'm having at the moment, and wondering if I should just lock it to a landscape setting
--------
Observations from other people, once we split from our groups:
Some people read through the thumbnails slowly, some scrolled through them fast.
One person read through it slowly, scrolled back and forth a bit, then when the background changed colour at one point I saw him audibly gasp. He did stop reading at the choice page, and read some of my paper stuff again, then went back to it and I think just went straight to the 'quest complete' page
Another just scrolled through the pages pretty fast, just looking at the cool javascript things rather than actually reading it.
Afterwards when I was looking around at other things, I also (finally) talked to Renee, who's also doing a project on hypercomics. At this point she's focusing on hovering, and having the panels only appear when you hover over them - which is really effective, even at this stage! I especially like how the narration and text are both in the same looking panels, so you don't know if it's going to be text or art before you hover.




No comments:
Post a Comment