Laya Mutton Rogers Major project process blog, from both semesters. The tags primary, secondary and discussion are from semester 1 research project only. Artist model refers to both art style and code examples
Tags
- 453 (60)
- artist model (32)
- concept art (31)
- production (28)
- code testing (24)
- secondary (19)
- audience testing (17)
- discussion (15)
- thumbnails (14)
- primary (10)
- crit moments (8)
- ADD TO (3)
Thursday, 15 March 2018
Experimenting with social media storytelling?
I have my own webcomic, Mistlands. There are only two chapters so far (I'm working on ch03 but it's slowed down since I've started back at uni). When I started out I'd never made a comic before, and opted to go with what's essentially a print comic uploaded to the web - normal a4(ish) pages, static, etc. This is because it seemed easiest, and also I do want to print it someday when it's done. I think that's the reason a lot of webcomics are in page format - they want to have the option for printed editions. As a fan of webcomics, I'd like to buy physical copies after I've read them, as it's easier to read in book format all at once, and it's nice to support the creators in that way - I've only actually bought a few because they generally have very expensive shipping, as something that's generally published and distributed by the artists themselves.
I've been thinking about making social media accounts for some of the characters since the concept stage, but haven't properly yet - a month or so ago I made Talia an instagram account:
It's locked at the moment, and I've been posting various random photos and drawings (she's an artist/photographer). My idea is to fill it up with that sort of thing, which will all be set before the comic starts, and then when the end of chapter 3 goes public start to change things - because at in ch01 Talia gets kidnapped by a faery, who basically takes her to a place where she keeps artists, and enchants them to create forever, and the plot of the first three chapters is about rescuing her (among other things). When she gets back home she has a kind of artist's block/ptsd, where she can't create because nothing's as good as what she made there/it brings back bad memories, that kind of thing - and I want to show that in her social media, among other plot elements.
Unfortunately, I can't really test the effects/reactions of that for this paper since I haven't really drawn chapter three yet, so can't set that part in motion. I will launch the account soon, though?
I also want to make tumblr and/or twitter accounts for Esther and Leela, the other two main (human) characters, though I don't want to overdo it straight away. (actually, I have made Es a tumblr (password: esther), but have just reblogged a handful of things on it. I may write actual text posts for her, but have no specific plans at this point in time)
---
Something else I was thinking I could do, is to make a couple of the pages in ch03 parallax, or infinite canvas. There's some scenes where they're walking through the forest, (also riding horses through the forest) which I think could be enhanced by using those things - I just don't know if that's something I'll be able to do in the time of this paper.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment