I found this very cool example of a comic which uses a lot of parallax, animation and sound to create a really immersive experience. It's an adaptation of a short story, based on Vietnamese refugees in the 70s.
- The contrast of the b&w ink drawings against the parallax and movement is really nice, and especially works well in the boat/storm scenes.
- it shifts between white on black and black on white which is a really effective way of shifting the mood and scene
- The illustrations aren't animated in most cases, just the panels themselves - though the animation + scroll parallax + mouse oriented horizontal parallax is quite extensive. It's unified and works together well, though.
this punch is animated, coming in from the right side and filling the screen
I tried it on mobile and it works surprisingly well! needs to be landscape though, otherwise the sides get cut off a bit and the text is too small. I was also surprised when my phone vibrated as the boat 'tipped'!
A video from the artist:
This website https://builtvisible.com/interactive-story-telling-7-examples-of-online-graphic-novels/ also has some other examples of interactive storytelling - mostly documentaries and promotional things.
It says that The Boat is made using: AngularJS / GSAP / YouTube Video Embeds
“Interactive storytelling is the art of telling stories enhanced with technological, social or collaborative interactive features to offer content adapted to new behaviors in a rapidly changing cultural ecosystem.”
Benjamin Hoguet (via Medium)
The Grey Tales is a nice minimal site, telling four stories about elephants. It would be nice if there was more illustration in the stories rather than just the one on the side and text down the other? I didn't really want to read it.
The Land of The Magic Flute


This is a 'motion graphic novel' adaptation of Mozart's opera The Magic Flute. When I go to the site it says "mobile version: watch the video" and I can't tell it there's supposed to be a desktop version that you click through rather than just watching the whole thing as a video....
Either way, though it'd probably be a little more engaging if I could do that (have reader control, etc), it's still very interesting! It has nice art and an interesting story - though some aspects of it are a bit dated and racist/sexist, I feel like that could've been rewritten a little better, though possibly isn't possibly since (I assume) they used the original songs from the opera.
The original opera story is set entirely in the fantasy world, but in this rewrite they made the protagonist someone from the normal world, who crashes his car into a lake and sinks down and finds himself in the fantasy world, that plot happens, then at the end he resurfaces and reenters the 'real' world. this is an interesting way of modernising it, in a way, though I felt like the intro was a little too long and boring? I guess it was setting up who he is
„The artists have really succeeded in retelling Mozart's fairy tale opera. The digital picture world has great theatrical power, one could stage the whole opera in it. The digital soundtracks are a musical language that young people understand. They tell the story like recitatives. When the main arias of the opera are played between them, the sound collage gets a fabulous exoticism.“
Kirsten Harms (Director)
„To reach young people it is necessary to embrace the specifics of our times and Interactive Media is a superb tool for opera to create specific material for the new generation. It has to be approached imaginatively and for itself, and has nothing to do with timidly recreating material which really belongs live, on stage.“
David Pountney, Director of the Bregenz Festival (2003-2013)
On the interactive media foundation website where I found the above quotes, I also found Ninette -Thin is not thin enough an interactive comic aimed at young girls about anorexia (read it here) it's in german so I can't understand the words, but the story is obvious enough from the visuals. It's a single screen where you click through and it reveals more panels, bubbles, etc. It also has sound.

"The interactive comic is aimed at young girls between 12 and 15 years old, its goal is to provide preventative infotainment. Without talking down to its target audience, it tells the story of 14-year-old Janette, who develops anorexia and, with therapy and the support of her friends and family, finds her way back to life.
The comic is supplemented by additional information consisting of articles, podcasts and interactive tests developed in cooperation with renowned experts from the field of preventative counselling
“Ninette” is available online and can be accessed anywhere via mobile devices, providing vital support for young girls and the people in their lives. Not only does it supply them with a wealth of well-founded information on the topic of eating disorders, but it also provides direct access to a nationwide online consulting service. The comic thereby provides the girls with a venue for an unbiased and brave engagement with the still frequently stigmatised topic of anorexia, their own body image and their needs and desires."
No comments:
Post a Comment